Northrop Grumman - Unmanned Ground Systems
Northrop Grumman’s heritage in unmanned ground systems began with the challenges encountered by UK MoD Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) personnel in addressing the terrorist threat in the early 1970s.
From very simple beginnings, the first Wheelbarrow bomb disposal vehicles were developed and have evolved with advances in technology offering increased capability to the EOD operator. The Wheelbarrow has now developed to Mk9, and is regarded by EOD specialists’ world-wide as the most capable and reliable unmanned vehicle available.
Today multi layered solutions from detection and planning to response and destruction, are designed to offer all EOD team users a modern, fast, reliable and effective solution to combat the latest threats associated with today’s modern IEDs.
- Improved range and video quality up to 1km with fully secured digital wireless communication
- Arm Speed, Terrain Mobility over x4 faster than other UGVs up to 12 (kph) Kerb climb 0.3 (m)
- Stair Climb 37°, Gap Cross 0.5 (m), Self-righting capability, Pitch and roll sensors along with Load cells provide auto stability system
- Tool rack with Automatic tool change for 8 tools/weapons no need to return to control point for new tools.
- 9 degrees of freedom modular arm – the most versatile capability in the world, can be exchanged for a heavy duty arm capable of lifting 100(kg) or handling large weapon shocks.
- All cameras are colour and come with lighting this combined with onboard microphone give superb situational awareness.
- Dedicated data channel for additional sensors (Ethernet speed), tested with multiple CBRN equipment deployment.
- Environmentally suitable for all climates. -15°C to +60°C dust/rain, vibration, shock certificated, fording depth 0.3(m)
Today, at our facility in Coventry, we have created a centre of expertise for the systems design, integration and assembly of some of the most trusted unmanned ground vehicles. Our heritage has been built on providing the most capable and recognisable remote controlled bomb disposal platform the ‘Wheelbarrow’ to the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD).
- Wireless hand controller; joystick vehicle control
- Improved range and video quality
- Dedicated data channel for additional sensors
- Low profile 3 fingered gripper with integral ceramic cutter
- Tested with multiple CBRN equipment deployment
- 7 weapon firing releases – offers a large variety of tool installation without the need to change mid-operation
Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD)
The capability of the Wheelbarrow platform and its unmatched performance has directly led to its international success and it is still in active service world-wide as the platform of dependable choice by the most demanding and dedicated EOD/Counter-Improvised Explosive Device (CIED) teams.
Recently, we launched the Wheelbarrow Mk9 as the latest platform with its combined strengths of speed, climbing, lift and payload capacity. This has been enhanced to improve the ease of operator use with digital command links, intuitive touch-screen controls and sensors for improved situational awareness.
- Dual mobility capability
- Manipulator arm with 7 degrees of freedom
- JAUS ( Joint Architecture for Unmanned System) software operating system
- Multi-mission tool/sensor mounts with plug and play capabilities
- Rotation: grip rotation – continuous 360°
- On screen graphics showing vehicle orientation, feedback from on-board sensors and errors and failures of joints
- Grip rotation 360°
- Common, modular electronics with JAUS (Joint Architecture for Unmanned System) compliant software
- Moulded front-drive range integrates microphone, speaker, drive camera, firing circuits and LED lighting
- Quick release lithium polymer battery
- New manipulator options with 6 degrees of freedom and quick release gripper/tool system
- New manipulator design with all internal components provides superior capability, in a quick release, versatile package
- State of the art diagnostics and troubleshooting including on-board diagnostics LCD screen
- Quick-release articulators provide unmatched stair climbing & mobility, or can be removed for narrow spaces.
- Quick release pan and tilt can be removed with a twist of the wrist for low clearance areas.
- Optional tazer and thermal imager
- Integrated 1W or 5W radio for clear audio and video
- Picatinny rails for sensor & payload attachment
ANDROS™ Unmanned Ground Vehicles
As part of Northrop Grumman, Remotec US Inc. manufacture the ANDROSTM range of EOD unmanned ground vehicles. Outside of the Americas, Remotec UK Ltd markets the latest developed ANDROSTM F6 Series Model no. CX ( also known as the F6B) and HD Model no. SEL.
The larger ANDROSTM F6B platform offers a dual mobility capability: quick release pneumatic wheels for rapid width reduction and patented articulating track to traverse rough terrain.
It has a manipulator arm with 7 degrees of freedom ensuring optimum dexterity and offers screen graphics showing vehicle orientation, feedback from on-board sensors and errors and failures of joints.
The medium sized ANDROSTM HD SEL model is a more compact and robust vehicle that can travel up to speeds of 8.4km/hr and has an extremely durable moulded front-drive range integrating a microphone, speaker, drive camera, firing circuits and LED lighting.
Moving into CBRN and Integrated Solutions
It is has been our privilege to work and partner with the EOD/IED teams and to understand their complex mission objectives in a turbulent and evolving threat environment. We can provide technical solutions from our increasing range of vehicles that can be configured according to the operational requirements of the user including EOD, ground surveillance, hazardous material (HazMat) and chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) missions. Furthermore we are now providing bespoke system solutions, integrating our unmanned ground vehicles with command and control systems, the TouchTable® collaborative environment and service support vehicles to produce a standalone mobile capability for locating, identifying and disarming explosive and other hazardous devices, collecting forensic evidence and carrying out criminological analyses.
Northrop Grumman Corporation is a leading global security company whose 120,000 employees provide innovative systems, products, and solutions in aerospace, electronics, information systems, shipbuilding and technical services to government and commercial customers worldwide.